Table of Contents
Inbound Sales: Routing Leads
Updated by Susan Swier
When a message comes in from a new lead, you’ll want to send it to the right sales agent, for example, in the correct region or specializing in the right product line. You can automatically do this using information collected from the lead.
Benefits of Routing Leads
Use routing to:
- Streamline sales process by automatically sending qualified leads to sales agents.
- Help sales agents get relevant leads faster.
Methods for Routing Leads
- Route leads automatically based on input.
- Route leads automatically based on existing lead data.
Route leads automatically based on input
- Ask leads a multiple choice question to get the information you need.
- Route leads to an agent specializing in that category.
Here’s an example of how to use a Workflow to route leads to sales agents. You can adapt it according to your business needs.
In this example, we’ll show how to route a lead based on what plan they’re interested in. Other types of questions you might ask include Which country are you in? What is your budget? Which product line are you interested in?
Use the Ask a Question Step to ask a multiple choice question
Use the Ask a Question Step to ask leads for input and save their answers as Variables. The Variables will be used in this Workflow’s Branch Step for routing purposes.
Ask a Question Step configuration for multiple choice questions
2. Select Multiple Choice in the Question Type dropdown.
3. Add and fill in the answer choices as needed: for example, for a plan type, Individual, Business.
4. Enable Save Response As Variable and give the variable a name.
Route leads to the appropriate agent
Use a Branch Step to route leads to the right team or agent based on their answers. Since we saved the above example Variable as PlanType and we have two plans, Individual and Business, we’re adding a branch for each answer.
Branch Step configuration for routing
2. In the configuration panel, select your Variable name, then is equal to from the Operator menu.
3. Fill in the Value with one of the answer choices from the Ask a Question Step.
4. Select Add Branch and repeat this process until you have a branch for each answer choice.
5. Now you can add steps in each of the branches to decide what happens next.
Route based on existing lead data
Data collected from lead enrichment can be used to make automated decisions about the next steps for the lead based on your business needs. You can also use any data that you gain from enrichment, e.g., budget, job title, company size. Contact information such as country or language can be derived automatically from some Channels leads used to message your business.
- Route leads based on existing Contact information.
Here’s a setup example of the Branch Step to route leads based on existing Contact information. For this example, we’re using the country field.
Add a Branch Step > select Contact Field and Country > select is equal to from the Operator menu > choose your desired country as the Value.